2006-12-16

Dad get's to hear baby for the first time.


On Monday last week I went with Becky to Dr Bellin's office, it was just a routine pregnancy checkup but I wanted to meet the Dr. and ask questions and see what exactly they are doing to my wife.

Dr. Bellin has a kind face and she's really gentle with Becky. Becky asked some questions, peed and got her blood pressure taken and then She asked Dr. Bellin if we could hear the heartbeat.
The Dr. took some jelly and put it on her stomach, then took a microphone and pressed it into her belly.

She moved it around for a while, apparently trying to locate the sound. Meanwhile the speaker device which is just a little hand held thinga ma jig is sqwaking and feeding back like a cb radio. Not that I have any basis for these assumptions, but I thought baby was laying in mom's tummy in one spot. After all where is he going to go? After a couple of tries I'm starting to get nervous, you know, where is our baby's hearbeat already?

Then we hear it fly by! It's kind of a whoosh whoosh sound, but the little guy is hauling a** in there, so it kind of has a doppler effect to it, and the Dr. starts moving the microphone all around trying to keep up! He's literally bouncing off the walls, and Becky's laughing at me because I've got this huge totally involuntary grin, I'm completely in this moment and not even remotely self aware.

And now I'm chuckling to myself b/c it occurs to me it won't be long before I'll be running around after little Jet Li Jr. Now I'm totally excited for the ultrasound on Jan 4. that's right around the corner!

No comments: